Friday, March 3, 2017

Distress Oxides - Take 2! Sponging on Kraft

As you may have known (by the large earthquakes stemming from North Dakota) I have been jumping up and down in my excitement to finally have time to break out my brand new Distress Oxides and play. 


distress_oxide_technique_sponging_kraft

I'm planning on having tons of time this weekend to explore some of the other things, but I really wanted to give these babies a whirl on kraft paper.

Guys. Guys. Mind = Blown.

I cannot believe how pretty they look when sponged over kraft paper.
If you're new to the Distress Oxides, what rock have you been under? Haha - just kidding. If you're new to Distress Oxides, they are a pigment + dye based ink fusion. What that means is that the pigment portion of the ink sits on top of the paper. Which means that you can use it on kraft & black cardstock. 


But before I get tooooooo far, I also want to say that this card was made for the brand new challenge at STAMPlorations


 

The theme & sketch challenge is exactly what it sounds like. Choose the theme or the sketch OR use both! There's prizes for the winners and you can use ANY brand of stamp you want! So, what I'm saying is... YOU should go play! 

I chose to use the theme: Spring and picked out these pretty little daisies from the Pocket Blooms stamp set. I embossed them in white and then began sponging. 


distress_oxide_emboss_resist_sponging

See how well that color shows up? You'd never be able to get that with a dye based ink, and pigment based inks leave an oily little residue that doesn't dry for...like... ever. Distress Inks dry within a minute! 

distress_oxide_cardmaking_technique

Like all Distress products, Oxides react uniquely with water, too! I sprinkled some water over the ink and dabbed it up. That's when the magic "oxidization" happens. 




distress_oxide_tim_holtz_techniques

Yeah.... I love this technique with Distress Oxides. Definitely going to be using this one again. 

I added the Thanks Word Die cut to the center panel.


thank_you_card_stamped_distress_oxide_techniques

I used Worn Lipstick and Fossilized Amber Distress Oxides for these two cards. 


thank_you_card_distress_oxide_sponging

Blam! Two super pretty and relatively easy cards to make! 

If you are thinking about buying any of the stamps/dies used here, just know that my bloggy subscribers get 20% off ALL the things in the STAMPlorations store by using the code STAMPGIRLBECCA. 

I'm also going to link up to:
Addicted to Stamps and More: Anything Goes
Paperminutes: Spring

Thanks for popping by!

34 comments:

  1. You certainly are tempting me to get those inks, Becca--gorgeous cards! I don't work much now, but maybe I should volunteer for some more shifts--haha!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I cannot wait for my Oxide inks to arrive here in Greece from the UK. Should be any day now.
    Love these cards, as well as the 'oxide' card you posted a few days ago.
    Have a wonderful weekend!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Wow!!! Thanks very much Becca for this post! Love how you made these amazing two cards with kraft papers and Distress Oxydes! They look amazing! Waiting to have a little budget to sped LOL but surely they work great and are a must have!!
    Hugs

    ReplyDelete
  4. WOW, love those inks, Becca - what a great look on the kraft!!!! Your cards are simply stunning!!!
    Have a great weekend!!!!!
    Hugz

    ReplyDelete
  5. Love the spring daisies Becca. Haven't indulged in the oxides , yet! :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oops forgot to say thanks for sharing at this week's Anything Goes challenge at ATSM. :)

      Delete
  6. Thank you for the information on the inks. They do look great on the kraft. Gorgeous cards ...Thank you for the inspiration x

    ReplyDelete
  7. I can't wait to get some of these to play with, Becca! Love your results!!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Um, more please!! These Distress Oxides in your hands = genius!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Wow! Your cards look so beautiful! I have to get me some Oxides! None of our local stores carry it so I am going to have to order on-line! I love that worn lipstick one you used on the flowers! I think my husband is going to have a fit because I keep on buying supplies! Oh the troubles of a crafter!!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Becca, your cards look fabulous. L:ove the white on the colored background. i also used the oxides for the first time today and I love the look and feel! BTW thanks for your compliment on my Craftchaos Blog on the crazy cat tag. Have a great weekend!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Wow you make those inks sing! When mine arrive I will be back here for inspiration for sure!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Both your cards are so pretty.. I am definitely investing in some distress oxide inks as soon I can . I love the effect it has on Kraft paper and the way they blend so smoothly 💕

    ReplyDelete
  13. What a set of absolutely stunning cards Becca! love them
    Blessings
    Maxine

    ReplyDelete
  14. OK, confession time....i'd not heard of these before...but my GOSH! They look fantastic. So VIBRANT against the kraft, which is pretty hard to do! And I love that they still do that magical water thingy as well. New toys, new fun times by the looks of it:):)!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  15. Those two particular colors look awesome on kraft. Lovely cards, Becca.

    ReplyDelete
  16. Hello from over here under said rock! I've been seeing talk of these all over but really had no clue how they were different... no time to look... so it looks like I signed up for email notifications on your blog just in time! (Not to mention that awesome sale)... These are gorgeous! Maybe I'll get to play along!!! I'm gonna try anyway... cannot wait to get some of these!

    ReplyDelete
  17. Oh WOW!! These are so cool!! I LOVE the oxide on kraft. They look fabulous next to white. I have 9 of the colors (the others on the way) but have not played yet. Might have to this weekend!! Amazing!!

    ReplyDelete
  18. This is such a great effect on your card. Thanks for taking part in our Paperminutes Challenge.

    ReplyDelete
  19. What beautiful cards! Thank you for sharing this cool technique!

    ReplyDelete
  20. Love the way these look, so PRETTY!!

    ReplyDelete
  21. Fabulous cards Becca - great effect on the kraft

    ReplyDelete
  22. Fabulous results here with your new inks. Love how you used that Pocket Bloom stamp.

    ReplyDelete
  23. Your cards are so gorgeous!! The colors look amazing!! I still don't have the Distress Oxides yet but I need them!! Have a great evening!! Big hugs :)

    Lisa
    A Mermaid's Crafts

    ReplyDelete
  24. Becca, omg!1 I'm in love with these but I just spent a fair wedge on new art supplies, got to win a challenge or two so I can purchase them. I had no idea about the Kraft or black and tbh I've been avoiding looking too closely because I knew I'd blown my pennies on art supplies lol!
    Thank you so very very much huni, I'm always nervous when sharing my art but you just made me feel so much better and I really appreciate this more than you realise sweet friend. Have an awesome week x

    ReplyDelete
  25. These are gorgeous, Becca! I love your technique! I can't wait to try the Distress Oxides myself! Tim is always coming out with something fabulous!

    ReplyDelete
  26. Awesome cards! I love that idea...they are so pretty!

    ReplyDelete
  27. gorgeous sponging! such pretty cards. xo

    ReplyDelete
  28. You, my friend, are a Distress Oxide wizard!! (Thus the underlay of DI's and DO's on your banner?) Your cards look absolutely amazing!!

    ReplyDelete
  29. Amazing card! I love how you layered the flowers and embossed them to make them pop on the kraft card. I'm resisting to buy the oxide inks as I just bought a load of normal Distress inks...but I might crack after seeing your post...

    ReplyDelete
  30. OK, now I have to go break out the inks I bought - these are AMAZING!!!

    ReplyDelete
  31. I think Deadpool 2 is just as funny as the original entry. There’s even more meta jokes, the same gleefully dirty spirit carries over and some unexpected payoffs left me cackling. They build upon some of the previous memorable bits (I admire Ryan for being so willing to relentlessly skewer his filmography) arrival putlockers without it going stale. Luckily, they didn’t ruin the movie by putting all the funny bits in the trailer and there’s plenty to enjoy.

    See more:
    > the revenant putlocker
    > movies2k
    > Deadpool 2

    ReplyDelete